When it comes to self-defense, there are many different ways to keep yourself safe. At Accurate-Edge.com, we offer a large selection of useful and essential Firearms training and self-defense classes in the state of Florida. However, did you know that there is a proper way to defend yourself using pepper spray? With any type of self-defense or self-defense method, there is a proper technique and need for knowledge to truly keep yourself out of harm’s way:
- Never fire pepper spray with your hand far out, as this can result in the assailant easily knocking the spray out of your hand. As you spray, walk backwards away from the assailant.
- When using pepper spray, aim for the assailant’s eyes and facial region and release a 1 to 2 second burst. After firing the spray, be sure to move out of the way, as the spray can produce a cloud that may get in your own eyes.
- Like firing any type of weapon, don’t close your eyes or look away when firing.
- Once the assailant is disabled, continue backing and concentrate on getting away. Pepper spray is meant to give you the opportunity to escape danger, so when that opportunity comes…take it.
- Always make sure your pepper spray is within reach when alone.
- If you find yourself in a situation where you need to react quickly, start spraying the pepper spray away from yourself and working on getting away as quickly as possible. Sometimes you might not have a lot of time to shoot the pepper spray in the recommended way, but your safety is the major concern.
- The proper and recommended way to fire pepper spray is to distract the assailant with your empty hand and yell “stop”. While you’re doing this, raise your shooting hand with the pepper spray and aim for eye level.