No matter where you happen to live, the world can be a dangerous place. Although it is unlikely that you will be in danger, emergencies can occur at any time. If you suddenly find yourself caught in a life-or-death situation, it pays to be prepared. With this in mind, certain Floridians can benefit from applying for a concealed weapon permit. As the adage goes, “Better to have it and not need than need it and not have it.”
The foremost reason to apply for a concealed weapon permit in Florida is safety. This is particularly important for people who live in bad neighborhoods or areas that are rife with violent crime. Armed with the aforementioned permit, you’ll no longer have to navigate questionable areas without a means of self-defense.
Chances are you’ll never find yourself caught in the middle of a mass shooting. However, with gun violence steadily on the uptick, wanting to plan for such a contingency is perfectly understandable. A concealed weapon ensures that you’ll be able to defend yourself — and possibly others — in a mass shooting situation.
Peace of Mind
Sometimes, worrying about something can ultimately cause you more stress than the thing you’re worrying about. If the myriad of mass shootings that have taken place over the last few years has left you shaken, obtaining a concealed weapon permit can put your mind at ease and ensure that you don’t expend any more brain power worrying about unlikely scenarios.
There are a number of reasons to obtain a concealed weapon permit in Florida — safety, emergency planning, and consistent peace of mind, to name a few. Provided you’ve had the proper training and studied under a skilled instructor, being approved for this permit shouldn’t prove difficult for Sunshine State residents.
There are many reasons why Floridians apply for concealed carry permits — self-defense and peace of mind chief among them. However, before you can be issued a permit of this type, there are a number of steps you’ll need to take. Being granted a concealed carry permit is a tremendous responsibility, and the Sunshine State doesn’t issue them to just anyone who applies. If you’re interested in obtaining one of these permits, you’ll need to tend to the following tasks.
Confirm That You’re Qualified to Apply for This Permit
You need to be at least 21 years of age to apply for a concealed firearm permit in Florida. Active and retired military personnel can apply for this permit as early as age 18, and are the sole exception to this rule. Furthermore, military personnel generally don’t need to complete additional training courses to qualify for this permit.
Take Part in a Training Course
Even experienced gun owners can benefit from attending the occasional training course, so it should come as no surprise that most concealed carry applicants are required to take part in them. When applying for your permit, you’ll be expected to provide a copy of your certificate of completion. There’s no discernible downside to attending these courses. To ensure that your stance, aim, and marksmanship remain in top form, you may even consider going back for periodic refreshers after receiving your permit.
Read Up on the Law
If you want a concealed carry permit for self-defense purposes, it behooves you to read up on the state’s laws regarding judicious use of firearms. Fortunately, most training facilities offer informative courses on this subject. The knowledge you’ll gain will help you determine the types of situations that warrant the use of your gun(s).
Although some people may find the process of obtaining a concealed carry permit cumbersome, this process is in place to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. When preparing to apply for one of these permits, remember to review your qualifications, sign up for an informative training course and educate yourself on state gun laws.
If a Florida resident wants to carry a concealed firearm, it is important to obtain a concealed carry permit. Carrying a concealed weapon without one is illegal and results in harsh legal consequences. One of the best ways to prepare for the application process is to participate in a Florida concealed carry class.
What a Concealed Carry Class Includes
While taking a class, students learn the basics of safely operating a firearm. The rules of safety are covered. Students also learn how to hold a firearm properly, how to load and unload a gun and how to use the safety features. It is important to take a class from a certified instructor. In most classes, instructors can also answer questions students have about the Florida CCW permit application process.
There are several requirements for license eligibility. The best way to determine them is to read the updated terms. Applicants must not have felony convictions or violent misdemeanor convictions. They cannot have a history of institutionalization for mental illness.
Several other eligibility requirements exist. When planning to take a Florida concealed carry class, be sure to read all of the requirements to ensure eligibility before enrolling.
When it comes to choosing a firearm, there are many choices in today’s market. However, it’s important to consider s few things before settling for the first firearm you see. When you’re ready to buy your first firearm, consider the following:
- Find a knowledge firearm store. When you enter a firearms store, the salesman should be friendly, knowledge, and helpful. A good salesman will be able to answer any and all of your questions, and help you make an informed buying decision.
- Try to find a range or facility that will let you rent different handguns, so you can get a feel for which best suits you.
- If your firearm is for concealed carry, know the attributes that make a good carry gun. Light and thin, often equates to more comfortable carrying.
- Do your research and learn about the many firearms manufacturers that exist. It’s very important to consider choosing a brand that is reliable and often garners rave reviews.
- Most importantly, find a firearm that is a good fit. How does it feel holding the firearm? How does it feel shooting the firearm? The most comfortable you feel with the firearm, the more likely it is that you made the best choice.
- Make sure the trigger is not too heavy or too light. Does it feel right for you? That’s the most important question to ask yourself.
You don’t go and buy a car without a test drive, and the same should hold true for a firearm. When you’re looking to get your first firearm or polish your skills, don’t forget to take expert Florida firearm courses at Accurate Edge!
It’s no big secret that signing up for an in-depth firearm safety and tactical course in Florida will make great improvements to your understanding of firearms as well as firearm handling skills. However, there are many other reasons for signing up for a firearms course with Accurate-Edge!
- The owner of Accurate-Edge has well over 23 years of firearm instructing experience, as well as experience with handling firearms.
- Accurate-Edge offers flexible scheduling as well as weekday classes. We make it even easier for you to find the time to take a firearms course.
- We even offer non-firearm personal safety training!
- Owner is a Florida D and G Licensed Security Force Member.
- We offer on-location firearms training in Florida with our portable live fire range.
- Our owner is a retired Navy Auxiliary Security Force Member.
If you’re ready to increase your personal safety, and learn how to properly own and handle a firearm in Jacksonville, Florida, there is no better choice than Accurate-Edge. Our Florida firearm training is world-class, and we aim to teach you the skills you need to greatly improve your personal protection and properly own and operate a firearm. Contact us for more information today! Since 2005, our team has provided Florida’s best basic and instructor-level firearms and tactical training courses.
Most often and incorrectly known as Florida Concealed Weapon Permits, a Concealed Weapons License in Florida can easily be obtained if you meet the mandatory requirements. CWFLs are easier to earn with proven firearm training, but there are other requirements that are very important:
- Applicants must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm, which can be done by enrolling in firearms training at Accurate Edge.
- Unless you are serving overseas in the United State Armed Forces, you must reside in the United States.
Applicants may be denied for their CWFL for the following reasons:
- Physical inability that prevents the safe handling of a firearm.
- A felony conviction.
- A record of drug or alcohol abuse.
- A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws.
- Failure to provide proof of proficiency with a firearm.
- Being a fugitive from justice.
It is important to also mention that you may not need to take a course in order to get a license, but you must be able to present special documentation. If you want to learn more about obtaining your CWFL, consider enrolling in a course with Accurate Edge, or learning more at Accurate-Edge.com. Contact us for more information and questions regarding our classes.
When it comes to owning a firearm, there many rules you must follow for your own safety. At Accurate Edge, we teach you how to properly handle a firearm, below are important rules every firearm owner should follow.
- Know your target and what is beyond! It’s incredibly important that you have identified your target and beyond any doubt. Also be very aware of the area your target is in, and never fire in a direction where people are.
- Know how to handle the firearm safely. We offer the best firearm training in Jacksonville, and can make sure you know the basics when properly handling a firearm.
- Always make sure your gun is in working order before firing. Regular cleaning and proper storage are very important for the health of your firearm.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
- Wear proper ear and eye protection when firing a gun at the range.
- Much like driving, never use alcohol or drugs while shooting. It is very important that you are not impaired to any capacity when handling a firearm.
- Always keep guns in a safe place where they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
- Regular cleaning is very important in order for your gun to operate safely and correctly. Proper care not only extends the life of your firearm, but can also ensure your own safety.
People have varying opinions on beliefs when it comes to owning a firearm, but there are numerous benefits to owning a firearm. Of course, it’s important that you take the time to learn how to properly handle and own a firearm before purchasing one. What are some of the reasons that you should consider owning a firearm and enroll in our Florida firearms training courses?
- Bad things happen! Of course you can depend on calling 911, but when seconds count and you’re in dire need of self-defense, you’ll be glad that you own a firearm.
- Guns stop burglars! Last year, it was estimated that Americans used guns more than 498,000 times to frighten away intruders who were attempting to break into their homes.
- It is a constitutional right to own a firearm!
- Shooting is a fine sport that can help sharpen your eye-hand coordination and also help you find a new hobby and passion.
- Nearly fifty percent of households in the U.S. own a firearm, so you won’t be alone.
- Guns in the home are safe, when gun owners learn and know how to keep guns responsibly.
- It is up to you to protect yourself and your family. Self-defense is much more honorable than being a victim.
Owning a gun for self-defense is comparable to having insurance. You don’t really count on your house burning in a fire, but the possibility still exists. You also probably never think you’ll need a firearm to protect yourself from an armed robber, but the possibility exists, and it’s better to be prepared and protected than not.